Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Dragoon's Rules of Survival #2- Always Have a Knife

    Rule #2 Always Have a Knife

    Not only should you have a knife, but it should be right for the job. The knife is probably one of your most important tools not only for every day life, but in an emergency situation. At Dragoon S/P Solutions, we carry a few different knives, and pack others for more specialized uses.

Why Carry a Knife? 

   Its easier really to ask why you wouldn't carry a knife every day. Almost every day I find a reason to pull out a pocket knife, at home or in the field. I can understand if you have a job where a knife is unauthorized. If that is the case, have one in your vehicle kit or get home bag. A knife is one of those things that hard to improvise in an emergency. Not impossible, but also not something you want to have to do before you are able to accomplish the task you needed the knife for in the first place.
  

What Knife Should You Carry?

    I'm not going to go deep into which knife brand, style, or steel type here. That is a different topic entirely. Pick a quality knife (not a gas station or flea market special) that you feel you can truly trust. I carry a folding knife on me every single day. I see a folding knife as much less threatening to the uninformed public than a fixed blade. Remember the concept of preparedness in layers. My folder should do everything I need from a knife until I get to my get home bag or bug out bag.
    In your GHB we suggest a decent fixed blade. Your GHB is built to take care of you in an emergency until
you get to your actual supplies. This knife should also be solid and dependable. You should also consider a multi-tool, unless you usually carry one on your person daily. In an urban environment, a multi-tool may be far more useful than a fixed blade knife.
    In the Bug Out Bag, most people will have at least one fixed blade knife. Some carry several, but I believe that to be overkill. I have two knives in my Bug Out Bag. Because any bug out plan I have takes me through and into rural areas, I have an ESEE Laser Strike. I also have an ESEE Junglas. The Junglas would be over-doing it for anyone that wasn't planning on doing serious wood processing.

  Make sure you carry enough knife for the job, something that is comfortable and more than anything else, something you can rely on. You never know when you will need a good piece of steel at your side.

Kyle
29AUG2012



No comments:

Post a Comment