Sunday, December 16, 2012

EDC

There are things that everybody has with them all the time, things we just don't leave the house without. For me this includes my wallet, my gun, a flashlight, a knife, my phone, a pad of paper and a pen.
      These are items that I feel everyone should have as part of their everyday carry, the key word there is "part." I understand that the gun may raise some issues, that there are places you cant legally carry, so that piece is mission specific. I wont get into the gun topic right now because that is another topic by itself, we will post on that later.
     The wallet is a given because that is something that you have to have with you anyway. I don't know too many people that carry a flashlight though. I didn't used to carry one, but now I don't know how I ever made it without one. I cant tell you how many times it has come in handy. Thinking beyond the convenience thing though, what if you get stranded somewhere at night? There are many scenarios that  I can think of where without a light Im pretty much screwed.  The light that I have is small and clips to the inside of my pocket like a pocket knife so its easy to carry. 
     We posted earlier about the importance of carrying a knife. There are so many types and brands out there that fits everyones needs. I wouldn't skimp though, its better to cry once over spending 75-100 bucks on a good knife then to have the blade snap on you. I carry a Cold Steel AK-47 and I love it. Its a folder with a nice thick blade and no serration's. The serration's are really a personal preference, I don't like them because they don't allow for fine work. Work such as feathering a stick or cutting a notch for a trap.  
     Next is my phone and this is one of the most important things that I carry. Yes I have a smart phone, and yes its an I-Phone. Thats not why its so important though. It does do a lot of cool stuff, and has a bunch of cool apps which in a pinch can be very helpful. But even with all the cool stuff it does, the most important thing it does though, is give me the ability to communicate with my family or team. It doest matter what kind of phone you have, as long as it has voice and text capability. In a disaster the cell towers are going to become overloaded quick because everyone needs to get ahold of their family. A text message is a tiny amount of information and runs separate from voice. This means that you will likely be able to get a text message through before you can call someone. 
     Last a pad of paper and a pen. Like the flashlight I didn't used to carry these and now Im lost without them. That is another nice thing about having a smart phone, you can take notes on it. Still nothing beats the good old hard copy. There really isn't anything special about it, any pocket sized notebook and pen will work. I would suggest getting a Rite In The Rain pad and a combat pen though. Just because both are rugged and you never know what weather you are going to need it in. 
     I will post a video on this topic and review the items of my EDC later. In the meantime we would love to hear from you guys. Whats in your EDC? Leave us some comments.

Mike
15Dec2012
     

No comments:

Post a Comment